Saturday, April 26, 2014

Retrospect

Finals are around the corner. Classes are ending. Teachers are assigning last-minute projects and assignments to meet their requirements. Students are hectic and without sleep. Coffee seems to be our last hope.

I would like to step back amidst all the chaos. I want to share the Lord's faithfulness in growing me throughout my sophomore year. In the middle of all the school, the schedules, the to-do lists, He still found time to stretch my faith and my knowledge of who He is. I wanted to share a few of these things.

One practical thing I re-learn each morning is not to go to sleep in a bad mood. Do not let the sun go down on your anger (Ephesians 4:26) because you will wake up angry, have terrible sleep, and unintentionally ruin the next day also. Instead, I have found to talk to my Father before I sleep. Anything on my heart that is messy, bitter, or discontent needs to be replaced with thankfulness, adoration, and forgiveness. I can actually wake up joyful in the morning. Satan tells us sleep is a good response to our problems. He lets us believe that if we just fall into blissful unconsciousness, we will not have to deal with our problems and they will magically be gone in the morning. However, God has revealed that this is not what He made sleep for. Sleep is for rest after we strive and struggle in the day. Giving in to our losses and disappointments and bitterness is not struggling. We must struggle to find joy before we can rest.

Not only is ending your day positive important, but beginning the next is equally important. I have made a new challenge for myself to feed my spirit before I feed my flesh. I realized that though I always make time to grab food before I rush out the door, I do not make time for God or His word. This really troubled me. I decided to make food for my flesh second to food for my spirit. Anything from a simple good morning prayer to delving into a portion of Scripture or singing to worship music begins my day with focus on Him. It has a similar aim as fasting: disciplining the flesh and proving that the Lord is more important than physical needs.

I think Fabs Harford is responsible for this next point: Watch your thoughts when you are alone and watch your words when you are with others. We must take every thought captive to the obedience of Christ (2 Corinthians 10:5). This means that we battle in our mind. We must criticize and correct every thought we have to make sure it lines up with loving God and loving others. I have learned that this specifically helps with depression and anxiety. Literally going back and editing thoughts can make such a difference. Sometimes we just need to preach to ourselves and remind ourselves that we are children of a God who cares and loves us deeply. In addition, our speech needs to be seasoned with grace, as though seasoned with salt (Colossians 4:6).

Speaking of grace, forgiveness is definitely a recurring theme God has challenged me with over the past year. I have learned to really humble myself and give up my rights for the sake of others. I have learned that where grace abounds, true love abounds. There can never be too much grace, but there is easily not enough. All people are broken and all people need grace. I truly believe that this is one of the biggest things that should set Christians apart in a fallen world. Two quotes have brought me far concerning forgiveness:


To give grace, we must be able to humble ourselves. This is so beautiful because only humble people can truly love others like they are supposed to. Do nothing from selfishness or empty conceit, but with humility of mind regard one another as more important than yourselves, do not merely look out for your own interests, but also for the interest of others (Philippians 2:3-4). I have learned that humility is making life about other people. In a book called Blue Like Jazz, the author states that "the most difficult lie I have ever contended with is this: Life is a story about me." That hit hardcore with me. Life is about God, not me.

Last, I learned that fear steals joy. There is no fear in love, but perfect love casts out fear, because fear involves punishment, and the one who fears is not perfected in love (1 John 4:18). When we are fearful, we have to ask ourselves what punishment (or consequence) we do not wish to happen. Then we have to determine if our life should really be defined by these consequences. Are we scared of embarrassment? Of being rejected? We need to have confidence in our Lord and strive to please Him alone, only caring what He thinks. Loving people is hard. Sometimes it is awkward and uncomfortable. Sometimes it takes us going out of our way and looking like idiots. But you know what? I've found that it's worth it.